A tight-knit and international team
« Our technical and international expertise-as-well-as our experience in the fields of fraud, asset recovery, corruption and economic crime-make us, within our speciality, the equal of much larger firms. »Stéphane Bonifassi
T : + 33 (0)22.214.171.124.81
Admitted to the Paris Bar in 1991.
Noted by Who’s Who Legal Business Crime Defence & Investigations 2018 as France’s “Most Highly Regarded” individual and described as a “leading authority” on fraud matters, especially with corporations, Stéphane Bonifassi specializes in business crime and fraud, economic sanctions, corruption, asset recovery, forfeiture and confiscation cases, as well as transnational enforcement of judgments and internal investigations.
He regularly represents individuals or companies accused of international corruption in multiple jurisdictions. As such, Bonifassi is familiar with the anti-corruption laws of France and has been described by Who’s Who Legal as the “dean of the Parisian Bar.” He is similarly knowledgeable about the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of the United States and similar laws of other countries. He has advised US firms in the pharmaceutical industry conducting an FCPA investigation in France. He has led an internal investigation for a French company following allegations of corruption in connection with a project funded by the World Bank. He has participated in the internal investigation of a large US firm accused of forgery in France. He has represented a French company whose US subsidiary is the target of a DOJ probe and is monitoring an internal investigation into the French entity.
He also frequently represents sovereign states that are victims of corruption or fraud.
Bonifassi was ranked by Chambers Europe 2018 for his work in white-collar crime. He also received Plume D’Or awards from Les Plumes De L’Economie & Du Droit in 2015 and 2016 for articles he wrote in Le Monde on international corruption and the benefits of Deferred Prosecution Agreements to France’s legal system, respectively.
- Graduated from Sciences Po Paris, 1984
- Earned a Master of Law from Université Panthéon-Assas, 1989
- Premier Secrétaire de la Conférence du Barreau de Paris, 1994
- Plume D’Or award recipient from Les Plumes De L’Economie & Du Droit, 2015 and 2016
- Co-Founder of The International Academy of Financial Crime Litigators
- Past president and member of the Union Internationale des Avocats
- Past co-chair of the Business Crime Committee and member of the International Bar Association
Stéphane regularly authors articles on business crime, asset recovery and international corruption.
Two of these articles, published in Le Monde, earned him a Les Plumes De L’Economie & Du Droit, Plume D’Or in 2015 and 2016.
T : + 33 (0)126.96.36.199.85
Admitted to the Paris Bar in 2010.
Nevena Ivanova specializes in fraud, white-collar defense, asset recovery and international private law. She has been with BONIFASSI Avocats since 2011 and has helped to uncover the hidden assets of various individuals, including a former country leader. She also has assisted on major white-collar crime cases.
- Obtained a Master of Private International Law and International Trade Law from Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas, 2006
- Obtained a Master of Litigation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution from Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas, 2007
- Certified in English for Law by the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 2008
French, English, Bulgarian.
T : + 33 (0)188.8.131.52.83
Admitted to the Paris Bar in 2018.
Admitted to the Russian Bar in 2017.
Originally from Russia, Elena joined BONIFASSI Avocats in 2014 and specializes in asset recovery, recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards and foreign judgments, as well as in private international law.
While practicing in Russia, she focused on international dispute resolution, including major public international law cases and commercial litigation, with components of fraud. She also worked in-house and implemented compliance programs for a Russian construction company.
During her tenure at BONIFASSI Avocats, Elena has contributed to an asset-recovery case for a bad bank and to a case involving a major telecommunications company, collecting an arbitral award against an African state. She is also active in criminal proceedings with an international reach.
- Earned a diploma in law with honors from the National Research University – Higher School of Economics (Moscow), 2010
- Obtained a master’s degree in Private International Law and International Trade Law from Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne University, 2011
- Is currently preparing a doctoral thesis in private international law comparing notions of economic public order in Russia and in Europe
- Teaches private law at Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne and private international law at Université Paris Descartes
Russian, French, English.
T : + 33 (0)184.108.40.206.82
Admitted to the Paris Bar in 2018.
Admitted to the New York Bar in 2017.
Victoire specialises in white collar criminal cases such as fraud, tax fraud or corruption issues. She also contributes to the asset recovery activity of the firm.
She joined Bonifassi Avocats in 2017. She studied in France, in the US and in the UK.
While doing her studies Victoire interned in the corporate department of a major English law firm working on foreign investment issues. She also interned at a French boutique working on general criminal law cases as well as white collar cases.
- LL.M. with distinctions specialised in International Law with a certificate in Human Rights Law at Georgetown University obtained in 2016 (Washington D.C.)
- Master’s Degree in International Public Management from Sciences Po with honours obtained in 2016 (Paris)
- Master’s Degree in business law with high honours obtained in 2014 (Créteil, France)
- LLB in common law with high honours obtained in 2014 (Sheffield, United-Kingdom)
T : + 33 (0)220.127.116.11.84
Admitted to the Paris Bar in 2016.
Admitted to the New York Bar in 2014.
Caroline Goussé’s main practice is criminal defence, with a focus on white-collar crime. She has worked on complex financial crime cases involving top management officers, and advised on white-collar crime investigations. Caroline also works regularly on cases of asset recovery for international clients.
Prior to joining Bonifassi Avocats in 2018, Caroline was an associate within the corporate litigation team of a French boutique firm, and represented clients in commercial and civil proceedings. She also has experience working in criminal defence in the United States where she was part of the public defender service in D.C..
- Obtained a juris doctor from American University, Washington College of Law in 2012
- Obtained a Master’s degree in International and European Law, from the University of Paris X Nanterre in 2012, cum laude, in 2012
T : + 33 (0)18.104.22.168.86
Admitted to the Paris Bar in 2018.
Marie Poirot specialises in white collar and financial crime, with a focus on cross-border cases. Her practice also includes international enforcement and asset recovery.
Marie holds a Master’s degree from Sciences Po Paris and Sorbonne University. Before joining Bonifassi Avocats, she practiced in a Paris-based boutique firm specialised in international enforcement and asset recovery and in the Energy/Infrastructure department of a leading international law firm.
After volunteering for Amnesty International, Marie led different projects on extractive industries’ transparency and anti-corruption in Africa, with the Legal Resources Centre (South Africa) and with the Sciences Po Law School Clinic, where she was a tutor for several years and worked in partnership with The Carter Center (Democratic Republic of Congo) and Green Advocates (Liberia).
- Master’s degree in White Collar and International Criminal law at Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne University, 2018
- Master’s degree in Economic Law, Sciences Po Law School, 2015
- Bachelor’s degree, Sciences Po Paris, 2012.
French, English, Spanish.